Our farmlands and marine environments are in poor condition.Intensive cultivation and brutal fishing methods have led to a deterioration of our soils and marine ecosystems and a reduction of our fish stocks. At the same time, farmland and fishing quotas are concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.Today, these natural resources are increasingly owned by big companies and foreign investors, while the conditions for small-scale food producers are becoming increasingly difficult. Furthermore, production and consumption of food in Denmark have consequences for countries from which we import food for ourselves and fodder for our farm animals.
The Danish network, Forum for Food Sovereignty, has therefore invited two Danish and two international speakers to talk about their struggles for democratic control of our resources, as well as possible solutions – in Denmark and globally.
With this conference Forum for Food Sovereignty, we hope to begin a dialogue about how policies for agriculture, fisheries, the environment, trade and food distribution can promote a democratically controlled food production that is the environment, climate and culture.
- 13.00-13.10 Welcome Nanna Clifforth, Forum for Food Sovereignty, Denmark
- 13.10-13.50 The concept of food sovereigntyFood sovereignty and agriculture globally Genevieve Savigny, La Via Campesina, France
- 13.50-14.20 Food sovereignty and agriculture in Denmark Ole Færgeman, Frie Bønder Levende Land (La Via Campesina, Denmark)
- 14.20-14.50 Food sovereignty and fisheries globally Jesu Rethinam, National Fishworkers Forum and World Forum of Fisher Peoples, India
- 14.50-15.10 BREAK with coffee and tea
- 15.10-15.40 Food sovereignty and fisheries in Denmark (in Danish) Knud Andersen, Living Sea, Denmark
- 15.40-16.40 Panel discussion and questions from the audience The four speakers and two politicians from the Enhedslisten (green socialist) and Alternativet (green) parties. Politicians not yet confirmed.
- 16.40-16.50 Conclusions and summary Nanna Clifforth, Forum for Food Sovereignty, Denmark